Sunday, June 14, 2009

Feigning Caribbean

With summer on its way, I can say I don't remember a season such as this one-rain rain rain. Then again, the seasonal changes in Vermont are not to be understood! When much of the US enjoys wafting cherry blossoms and bright tulips in tandem, in Vermont, lemon yellow daffodils go on and on. Then the tulips rush in, did I mention they were supposed to happen together!......Tulips' blooms last about a day here. Then all of a sudden we're in summer with days in the 80's-no spring in between. So as summer 2009 should be approaching I have been having urgings for HHH. What is HHH? Hazy Hot and Humid, I say. So to feign Caribbean I thought even though it's pouring out, then stops, going to a drizzle again, then sun then rain............I'm gonna make food and usher in HHH! I pulled out some whole snappers that I had in the freezer. Fish tacos? Naw, too much work. I would have to clean and chop heads etc. Whole snapper on the grill with some salsa and couscous. Just the thing to pretend we are in sunny country. Rhubarb season just ended here and I have a bunch of rhubarb from the farm that hasn't been used or frozen yet. Maybe a salsa with the rhubarb-use it up I was thinking. I played around a bit and came up with this:

RHUBARB SALSA
1 medium rhubarb stalk, peeled and diced fine
1 scallion, diced fine with green tops
1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium lemon, zested and juiced-set aside
1 cup finely diced peeled/seeded cucumber
2-3 sprigs Italian parsley
1 sprig mint
salt to taste
olive oil to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and let sit at least one hour for flavors to come together. If you like it spicy add some hot pepper.

Next, the snapper. Just a simple marinade of garlic, olive oil and a bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Coated the whole thing and stuffed the snapper with remaining sprigs of herbs (parsley and mint).


Heated up the charcoal grill to about 350 degrees and cooked until done-I press with my finger and peek inside where the fish should appear a bit opaque and slightly firm.


Grilled up some scallions to go along with them-Israeli couscous was the starch. To drink? Casal Garcia rose wine (vinho verde) from Portugal. It was a nice pairing with just enough floral/fruit to marry with the spicy herbal notes from the fish and rhubarb salsa.


Trinidad Tobago here I come!

No comments: