Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Heavenly Free Potatoes

I have a secret to tell......well! It's no secret, no longer! I tell everyone in sight. I purchased organic potatoes to plant in my garden about two years ago from Maine Potato Lady . I searched out unique varieties that stored well into winter, had excellent flavor and high disease resistance. I planted them and harvested huge yields due to adding lots of our own composted animal manure. So the following year I attempted to plant the little unused potatoes to continue it on. It wasn't to be. Tiller was broken and no garden happened. So then later in the year, my husband, dumped out the tub filled with those little unused potatoes from 2 yrs ago and this year they started, much to our shock, to come up. Then as we needed to add more compost to the garden, load after load with the tractor, they still grew! As I eagerly planted my garden with heirloom varieties, several basils, heirloom tomatoes, beans etc a dastardly woodchuck ate the entire thing to the ground overnight. Alas, it was also too late to re-plant this year due to cheese making and starting up the new sheep cheese season.

But! Lo and behold, my cheese making assistant and I discovered a few random potato plants creeping up thru the soil even though my husband continued to add compost on top of the baby shoots. We decided to watch them. And believe it or not, the woodchuck either didn't want them or didn't see them. I really don't care which it was but finally the other day on a summer-like afternoon, I dug 'em. Much to my thrill, there they were! Free potatoes, organic, beautiful, not diseased...and plump. My heavenly free potatoes, I call 'em-thanks Mother Nature. You do pity me sometimes. It's the little things like this that keep a farmer going.


And then the bounty of 'free' fries............cooked dry, salt and pepper, on a cookie sheet 400 degrees F for about 45 mins. To die for!

No comments: